What’s with that focus on the apple???
“The apple of my eye”, “The Big Apple”, “As sweet as apple pie”, “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”. Could there be a reason why apples are so valued by cultures and literature? “One apple a day keeps the doctor away”!!! A saying known all over the world, right? Ever heard “To eat an apple going to bed, will make the doctor beg his bread”??
Well, did you know that these sayings have been justified by science?
Apples hold many health properties, they are excellent detoxifiers and apple juice can destroy viruses in the body. In one recent study, Riu Hai Liu of Cornell University has found that although apples have only a small amount of vitamin C, eating 100 grams of apple provides the same amount of antioxidant activity as taking 1,500 milligrams of the same vitamin!
Benefits of Apples:
1. Apples clean the teeth and strengthen gums;
2. Apples can lower cholesterol;
3. Apples detoxify the body and have an antiviral property;
4. Apples prevent constipation because they aid in digestion; 5. One large apple supplies almost 30% of the minimum amount of fiber that should be consumed daily.
1. For people who suffer from inflammation of the joints and rheumatism, eat an apple regularly because it will aid healing;
2. Eating two apples a day will reduce your cholesterol level up to 10 %;
3. Drinking apple juice, 3 times a day, is said to prevent virus from settling in the body;
4. Grated apple, when mixed with live yogurt may be helpful in cases of diarrhea.
1. Never buy apples that have not been kept cold since they can be over-ripe in a few days;
2. Apples should be hard. If you can dent an apple with your finger, DO NOT BUY IT;
3. Keep your apples refrigerated. If not, they will decay fast;
4. To prevent apples from turning brown, rub the cut surfaces with a mixture of lemon juice and water;
5. Make sure you do not eat too many apple seeds because they could be toxic if taken in large amount;
6. Canadian researchers analyzing eight popular varieties found that the old standby, Red Delicious, and an apple called Northern Spy contain more disease-fighting antioxidants in their skin and flesh than any other studied. In English this means red apples are better than other apples!